Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Friends......

A couple of months ago there was some discussion in a few blogs about how much peoples work colleagues etc knew about their online lives on WoW….there was some feeling that being a gamer, and a WoW player in particular was embarrassing and not something a lot of people “advertise” to none playing friends for fear of being ridiculed

I don’t disagree with people who experience that, but I have an additional point….a lot of my friends (many of whom I work with) are gamers, and most of those play or have played WoW….so I can talk to them about it in a meaningful way…BUT…..
Of all my friends, I’m probably the “most into it”, the “most hardcore”….I’m the one that spends a long time looking at stats, wowwiki, EJ, blogs etc etc…..
And in fact, I receive more ridicule from my gamer friends, and even current WoW playing friends for being so “committed” to it….having my own blog for example was the source of much “piss taking” when I started….which was contributory to my not posting for so long…..They posted comments that were basically troll comments, which I simply deleted…..

Back when I was a raid leader in my old guild, I would be ridiculed by my rl mates for any mistakes I made, and for the sheer amount of time and effort I would put into learning the encounters before leading the raid that night (no I cant join you for dinner, I need to read up on bossX etc etc)

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a rant about my mates….Its all gentle piss taking, and I have a sense of humour, I do appreciate that I’m pretty involved in all things WoW and I give back as much ridicule as I get…but I wonder if anyone else is in the same position….

2 comments:

LarĂ­sa said...

Well since I don't have any real life friends I can discuss wow with I'm always envious of people like you. Maybe I shouldn't be. Even if the bullying isn't ill meant, it sounds a bit annoying to me.

In one way I'm quite grateful that Azeroth is my own secret world that I slip into.

Lerbic said...

"Bullying" is a strong word, and probably not applicable in this case, its the nature of friendship, certainly in my group of friends that we "take the piss" out of each other continuously

These guys are good friends of mine and i wouldnt have it any other way